ADVERTISEMENT

A better way to tackle?

WillUSNA78

Sep 9, 2016
Raleigh, NC
The 8/14 issue of SI has an interesting article about tackling technique that discusses the recent attempts to find both safer and more effective ways to tackle, as well as theorizing on why so much poor tackling happens in the college game. I was particularly interested by three points:

1. That the head-first style didn't spread widely until the advent of stronger helmets and unbreakable face masks.
  2. That rugby players consciously study and teach tackling technique, while (until recently) football coaches and players relied more on players' instincts, with only a minimum of thought about technique.
  3. That Nick Satan teaches a "tackle high" technique that has proven to be highly-effective, but not widely-adopted, running counter to the beliefs of most coaches (if I understood the article correctly).
I'd be interested in hearing opinions on the info in this article (broadly defined) from those on the forum with experience on the subject, whether as player, coach, or analyst. I'd especially like to hear from those who closely observe what KN and his D coaches teach in this regard. It would be helpful if those comments comparatively address the techniques discussed in the SI article for the sake of apples-to-apples discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News